Saturday, April 17, 2010

Disrespectful, really?

I met up with a friend the other day who has a son a couple months older than my girls. We met at my friend's mom's house, weird, I know, but it is central to both of us so it worked. Anyway, there is absolutely NO baby proofing in the entire house and the strangest part is that the little boy (15 mos.) doesn't get into anything. Not a single latch on a cabinet, tables are full of doo-dads, mostly glass, picture frames everywhere, I mean nothing is protected. It took about 6 seconds before my girls realized they could reach all of the glass doo-dads and proceeded to try and grab every single item in the house. My friend's mom commented that her grandson is just incredibly respectful. Now, this has me a bit confused. Is it possible that my girls are disrespectful? Until now, I just wrote off their curiosity as, well, just that, curiosity. Isn't it normal for babies to explore their surroundings using ALL of their senses? And, isn't touch one of those senses? I'm not afraid to tell my girls, "no" when they are around sockets, getting too close to the stairs, etc., but I also have socket plugs and a baby gate blocking the stairs. Does this make me a bad mom that my babies aren't incredibly respectful, or, is it just really weird that this kid isn't going through the Tupperware in the cabinets? I'd like to think that he is a little off, but he really does appear to be quite normal aside from the lack of curiosity thing. Who knows, but I'm not going to write my girls off as disrespectful just yet.

3 comments:

  1. That lady either a) was joking or b) deserves a junk punch.

    That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard and one time a lady tried to explain how much harder it was to have kids 2 years apart than having twins. Pshhhh. Your kids are not disrespectful!!! See you tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um.. Your kids are not disrespectful! They are babies. If they were 10 and throwing these items on the floor than maybe. Did she relaize hwo old your girls were? She was a proud grandma! Let's just hope that was her issue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU!!! I'll deliver the junk punch next time I see her. See you guys this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete