Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Simple Life

When did my life become so rushed? Lately I've been longing for the simple life. I know that a farm in the country (another one of my fantasies) isn't realistic today but I would like to slow things down a bit. I want to do more for myself and avoid getting caught up in the fast paced lives of just about everyone around me. This is going to be tough. My husband is the type that can't hold still and usually this suits me just fine too. The first order of business in slowing things down a bit is sticking to my list.

"Hi, my name is Ann, and I'm an impulse shopaholic!"
"Hi, Ann!"

I'm the person who goes into Target for milk and leaves with the shopping cart overflowing with things I do not need. I go to Costco without a list! Anyone who shops at Costco knows that this can end poorly! While the immediate high is nice, who doesn't like grabbing things off the shelves on a whim, the additional stress of having all that extra stuff in my house isn't worth it anymore. So, I'm sticking to my list while at Target and I'm going to be writing a list before any outings to Costco. Not only will this be nice for the bank account, it will limit some of the junk that seems to come through my door each week.

So far so good. Did Target this morning, and would you believe, I left with only two items! I used to wonder why stores even had baskets. Now I know, they're for the list stickers just like myself! In all seriousness though, I do hope that my efforts to reduce the amount of stuff, thus reducing my stress will provide a sense of contentment. I want to be happy with what I already have. Why do we always want more?

No comments:

Post a Comment